Thursday, November 7, 2013

Godspell National Tour: Week 2

It's Friday! Time for me to encapsulate the happenings of week 2 on our Godspell National Tour.

In case you missed the first post, we are the FIRST national tour of this production, and we are still letting that sink in and fester in our happy (and tired) minds, bodies and spirits.

Before I get into the factual business of where we played this week, (venues, cities etc), I would be remiss if I didn't speak about the relationships between our cast, band and crew.

We spend a LOT of time together. There's the show of course, but outside of that, we choose to eat, laugh, play, shop, gossip, meander, sing, facebook, tweet and instagram... TOGETHER. We LOVE this show and more importantly, we LOVE each other! Apparently the kind of chemistry we have flowing between us isn't common place. Even singing & dancing can start to feel like any other kind of work after a while, but we've still got that joyful thing going on. We look after eachother in ways that a healthy family would. If someone is hurt or sick, virtually everyone will offer a hand, an ear or a remedy to help. If one of us is stressed or blue, you can bet another cast member (or two, or three) is on the case and ready to kiss it better. And don't even get me started on the shoulder rubs. With all the physicality Godspell demands of us, there are lots of friendly massage circles happening at any given time. 

Our pre-show group sing/love-fest

Guacamole fights.

Outside Symphony Hall in Springfield, MA

Being far away from home, I've found this closeness to be one of the best things about touring another country for what will be a total of 13-weeks. I miss my family, I miss my home, but all the while, I know I'm wholly loved and taken care of by my Godspell family while we're out here on the road. We really are living out a beautiful, crazy dream.

It's super late on Thursday night/early Friday morning as I write this from my beautiful hotel room at the Sheraton in Springfield, Massachusetts. We performed at the Symphony Hall tonight, which is right around the corner from our accomodations. It's a stunningly beautiful theatre with a grandiose exterior and glamourous interior to match.

Outside Symphony Hall in Springfield, MA

Symphony Hall

Since last Friday's post, we've performed in St.John's NB, then crossing back into the US for New Hampshire, Maine and now, Massachusetts. Some of the more adventurous souls in the bunch spent their downtime discovering these new towns on foot, snapping away at local sites and nature. It is them you have to thank for the following few pics... my downtime was more often spent enjoying the hotel beds and hot tubs :-).

Day off in Maine! Zzzz...

Jesus discovering New Bedford

The show itself has been going well, and many of us in the cast even marvelled at the fact that we're still discovering new things within our characters and stories every day. I think we're all grateful (and surprised) that no matter how many times we do this, it never gets old. 

I mentioned our tour bus in my last post, but only briefly. Well it's AWESOME, and not because it's decked out with comfy beds, a kitchen and a living room (it's not), but because a) we still like eachother, b) we all packed headphones, pillows & snacks and c) we have the coolest, down-homiest bus driver anyone could ask for. His name is Robert and he's funny, kind, and plays sweet throw-back tunes when he's good and ready.

Ok, my lids are getting heavy and I really want to get up on time for the Lobster Benedict I saw on the breakfast menu before we have to leave.  We're off to Greenvale, New York in the morning and performing at their Tilles Center at night.

Please wish us broken legs! And check back for next week's new news :-)

Xo
~ Lisa Michelle
Twitter: #GodspellNationalTour



No comments:

Post a Comment