Friday, August 5, 2011

Transformation, Inspiration & Wotlessness!

Hello world!

I've been resisting the blogosphere because I didn't understand it's purpose for a musician. I've got music, photos and videos on my official website , what more could you want?

But I get it now. What my website was missing is ME! I'm more than a bio and some video clips or professional studio headshots. No one wants the candy-coated schpeal anymore, they want the truth. We don't just want to see artists perform, we want to SEE that artists are real people, with flaws and insecurities, mood swings and bad hair days.

That said, I wonder just how inconsistent this blog is going to be and if you're all going to think I'm a scatterbrained freak by the time I've made a few posts. Because while I'm very much a singer and songwriter by profession, there are a million other themes and topics that weigh on my mind from day to day (sometimes from moment to moment).

For instance, the past year has been one of monumental change for me. Since last spring to now, I got my first tattoo, got into a car accident, had a scare with my vocal chords, became vegan, started growing locs, took a 3-month hiatus from performing and played mas for Caribana for the first time (which was wicked fun, by the way). If I was blogging during that time, it would have been a hot mess! Or perhaps a very entertaining read, I guess I'll never know.

At any rate, this 3-month hiatus was just what I needed. I was already getting bored with my very short career and wasn't inspired to create or produce. So I sat this summer out and just let me be me. At first I felt silly, calling myself a singer yet not having any shows on the horizon and a very lazy dazy studio schedule. But I knew forcing it wasn't the answer, so while I patiently awaited the Inspiration Train, I had what might be the best summer I've ever had. I hit up the CN Tower, Ontario Place, Wonderland (twice), Sugar Beach, Beaches Jazz Festival and more.

Along the way, I did end up catching that train (better to wait for it then tear up the tracks in frustration). I'm working on a mix-tape and a full-length album (with Silver Roland) simultaneously, co-producing a fundraising event for SKETCH and finding my groove in the film/tv industry once again. I'm back!

Even with all that, I still have to say that Caribana was the highlight of my summer.  For real! I kinda felt like I was under water for a while and this was my 'coming out' party, so to speak, llol. If I learned anything during this whole transformation process or whatever it was, it's that there's nothing sunshine, Soca and a bikini can't fix :-)...

No comments:

Post a Comment